jueves, 1 de octubre de 2015

My professional autobiography

Hello there! My name is Arthur Tovar Cruz. I am a 23 years old teacher who has been teaching English as a foreign language since 2012.
The story of my professional life starts when I got really interested in learning English after listening to some American relatives talking with their children in the mentioned language. I was about eight years old when I wanted to learn a language different to my mother tongue for communicative purposes. So I started to play games in English and translate the English words that I saw into Spanish using a dictionary. What I did could be considered a little dumb but I was a child having fun with what I liked.
Some years passed and my English had improved by all the teachers who had taught me in primary school and high school. When I was in tenth grade I felt like I was not learning a lot in school so I asked my dad to subscribe me in an institute where I could meet other people and learn more. I studied in a public school in Ibagué so I was definitely having a slow learning process since there were no many English sessions during the week and sometimes there was not even school. Fortunately, my dad subscribed me in a language institute called 'Coruniversitaria' which was the institute of the university of Ibagué. I was tested and interviewed by a Canadian teacher in order for me to join the appropriate level.
I felt a bit embarrassed when I saw all my new classmates from different schools using English to ask for needs and provide information because I was probably going to pronounce wrong. It is true that I loved English and I knew some words and phrases of the language but I did not speak English all the time when I was in my English classes at school. That situation made me really shy at the beginning of the first level I took in the institute. After some period, my language skills had improved and I felt confident enough to express ideas, ask questions and talk aloud in classes at the institute.
I finished the eight levels successfully by the time I graduated from high school. After that, it was the time for me to choose what I was going to study professionally. I told my parents that I just wanted to learn more English and get a diploma that showed so. My dad told me that I needed to be aware that I could end up being a teacher and that job needed more skills than just knowing a subject. At that moment, I did not think about being a teacher but just moving to a further step in English learning.
In view of my decision, I moved to Neiva in 2009 and started studying English as a foreign language teaching in Surcolombia university. In the middle of the process, I had the opportunity to travel abroad and have real contact with the language while working as a camp counsellor in the country. I believe it is one of the experiences that most opened my mind because I stopped using Spanish for a long time. It was quite hard at the beginning to listen to different English accents around the world including native speakers and non-native speakers but then my brain started to work in English by thinking and doing processes in English. I only spent three months in the USA because I did not want to fail the chance to study the coming semester. I got my bachelor's degree on February the twenty-second, 2014.
Immediately after I graduated as an English as a foreign language teacher, I wanted to take further studies. So I started looking information of masters' studies offered by different universities in the country. I was about to go for an interview in the University of Manizales but then Surcolombiana University announced a new master's program in the field of English teaching didactics for the second semester of 2014. Hence, I am taking different courses and reflecting on what I have been taught to be a better-prepared teacher for all the learning difficulties presented in the classrooms of our context.

1 comentarios:

  1. Nice and interesting relate. I identify myself with the part of the relate that talks about learning English for differents purposes than teaching. Something similar happened to me; I wanted to learn English with the idea of traveling abroad but unfortunately, I did not have such opportunity. Later, I found myself immersed in this beautiful world of teaching English.

    ResponderEliminar